It’s now been a month and a half into the Crash Cash Diet, and about a week since posting 10 things we’ve learned since we started the Cash Diet. We’ve still got the same budget of $60/week for groceries, $40/week for household expenses and $20/week/person for personal spending money.
I’m a tad embarrassed to admit that we did not do well this week. In fact, we went over our grocery budget by $27.55 this week, for a grand total of $87.55, which we took out of our household budget. Although I finally caved and bought our $16 rice that just does not seem to want to go on sale, there were tons of things we should have omitted to stay on budget:
- Dried cranberries (which we use on salads), $4.29
- Tosino (frozen Filipino pork), $2.97
- Mushrooms (which we also use on salads), $3
- Buttercup squash (which was on sale for 57¢/lb – this was our first time trying it, so I shouldn’t have bought two) $1.10
- Butternut squash (I should have chosen a smaller one – the one I got was 4.76 lbs) $2.50
- Yogurt (which was on sale for 2/$5, but I should have gotten 1 tub of the no-name brand for the same price) $2.50
- Apple juice (juice is my weakness, but I need to learn to drink more water) $2
- Milk (even though it was on sale for $3.99, I could have done without milk for one week) $3.99
- Red potatoes (I didn’t realize until I had already paid that a 10lb bag of red potatoes was $3.99; I pad $3.61 for 3.65 lbs!)
- Oranges (for a roasted chicken recipe, but I should have chosen a different recipe) $1.56
- Green onions (also for the chicken recipe), $1.29
- Limes, $1
- Nectarines (on sale for $1.57/lb), $2.89
Had I not purchased any of the above, I would have saved $29.09, which would have been the first time in weeks that I didn’t max out our grocery budget.
We had also gotten a Costco rebate of $51.77 in the mail, which I spent on chicken breasts, salad, and a set of microfibre bedsheets. Since the chicken and salad were already covered, I really shouldn’t have even come close to maxing out our grocery budget.
In any case, we’ll just have to try harder next week.